I can't recall ever telling buyer clients that "now is the time to buy a home!" But, I have often counseled clients through the evaluative process of whether or not now could be the right time for them to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Question: Is not the right time to buy a home in Calgary?
Answer: Maybe. It depends.
These are some of the reasons to buy a home in Calgary this year... as told, unprompted, by some buyer clients in the last few months:
- I'm tired of renting and paying off someone else's mortgage.
- Interest rates are so low, it would be crazy to not at least consider buying now.
- With where we are in our lives, buying is the right thing to do now.
- We've lived in Calgary for a few years and feel settled enough to consider buying.
- We're planning to be in Calgary for a while.
- We were looking last year and couldn't find the right place because the selection of homes was so tight. And prices were climbing faster than our incomes.
- While house prices may go up and down, the long-term trend is up. Getting in when there is lots of homes on the market just makes sense.
- Interest rates are going up.
And then some thoughts about the buying process:
- "We know enough to know that we need guidance. It's been a long time since we bought a home and a lot has changed since our last home purchase."
- "Right now, inventory of homes in Calgary is so abundant that having someone to help us evaluate and narrrow down our choices is critical."
- "We're need someone in our camp and advocating for us and not the seller."
- Planning, laying the groundwork in advance of having to make a rapid decision, is one of the most important components of the buying process.
- Helping to understand the context of the real estate market really matters.
Do you have questions about the Calgary real estate market? As me anytime.